“If there is one question I dread, to which I’ve never been able to invent a satisfactory reply, it’s the question, ‘What am I doing?’”


MAYBE WAVY

from the introduction:

MAYBE WAVY represents the fourth volume of what was supposed to be a trilogy of Wavy works. The pieces included here are of two varieties: poems that I did not include in the earlier three volumes because I thought that they were written a little hastily and therefore weren’t very likeable, and poems that I didn’t care for because they were too old and I didn’t particularly like them because, well, old things are embarassing. Things do change, however. I like many of these now, I don’t always think that being hasty is a bad thing, I tend to embarass less easily these days, and would hate to see all of these things, especially the really old ones, go away forever, especially ones composed in places like Connecticut, a place that I can’t imagine I will ever go to again even though I had actually thought about going back to Connecticut every once in a while, but now that Paul Newman doesn’t live there anymore, what’s the point, honestly?

This work is dedicated to B. Rodney Marriott, Frederick Tremallo, Jonathan Williams, Allan Gurganus, James Applewhite, Inez Hedges, Jeffery Beam.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ricky



479 pages. Available at lulu.com

all artwork, including handsome monsters but not crinkly devilish types, ® mr. crispy flotilla, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts