CRISPY ONCE READ THAT JOYCE KILMER SAID: I THINK THAT I SHALL NEVER BE: CHINESE OR EKSPECIALLY JAPANESE

I was delighted to find that Google now offers a beta-max translation service for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. I was also very happy that I feel better now after having run into that big tree yesterday. When I woke up, I thought to myself: but only God could make a tree. And then I thought: but only God could make THAT stupid tree. I couldn't help but wonder why I couldn't get it out of my head. Then I remembered Joyce Kilmer and her lovely poem. And then I remembered that Joyce Kilmer was actually a man: what a terrible thing to do to a man! Call him Joyce and tell him he has to write poems about trees! But I think he did a wonderful job with this one. I heard it in the second grade in Mrs. Welch's class and still remember it, even after being unconscious below a stupid tree that came out of nowhere and made me feel all hemorrhagy.

That the great thing about poetry: no matter what kind of physical malady you might be suffering, it's really hard to forget a work of verse that is so much about honest affection. I am completely sure that Joyce Kilmer loved trees, and in an honest, loving way. I am also certain that he loved little robins in trees. And breasts. And leafy arms. And pressing things. I tend to believe him almost always when he writes. But do you suppose he was just kidding about God? I think it gets a little dark when he talks about God.




Joyce Kilmer had a son. Guess what his name was? Joyce.

JK Senior: December 6, 1886-July 30, 1918

I miss my beta max.


all artwork, except likenesses of Lyndon B. Johnson, by Crispy Flotilla ® 2006

Comments

Popular Posts