I very much wanted to put a circumflex over the 'u' in my series of one-line Eleanor Roosevelt and the Snowball poems. I was not sure if there was a grammatical or historical context for this, and so I looked it up.

I found a few, none of which were entirely convincing, but there was one obscure page that referred ambiguously to Robert Browning (Volume 11) so I figured that was good enough for me.

During her debût, Eleanor Roosevelt wore a fine chiffon dress, snowball-colored, trimmed in emerald green.


As it turns out, there is no circumflex in the above mentioned Robert Browning Volume 11 reference, although there is an accent aigu over the 'e', not 'u.'

During her début, Eleanor Roosevelt wore a fine chiffon dress, snowball-colored, trimmed in emerald green.

THE END

Comments

Popular Posts