WALLACE CADENZA≠ING in 12+ PARTS the words that David Foster Wallace circled in his dictionary



i

Imagine me
in my espadrilles.
Now stop.

ii

I embrace the lofty idea
I make it fictile by way
of modeling clay and honey
and a big bottle of booze
that I drink amidst
the fictile process

iii

Heaven
where have you hidden my heart?
Why Ricky
it is in the entrepôt
next to the dictionary
go have a look

iv

Why do I love
fight movies so?

Is it the fulgurant
viscera?

I don’t know

FOUND IT! (the dictionary)

(In the entrepôt!)

v

I don’t have to tell you
that our relationship is
internecine

Yes you do, yes you
do

OK our relationship
is

Be careful, once
you say something

internecine

my internecine

you can never
take it back

vi

Love, they say,
starts off like a blimp
and ends up
like a hat pin
via some awesome
mucronations
and poor decisions
and lonely friday nights
ripples of bloodhounds
why so covered in glue
the bloodhounds

vii

My favorite part of the shadow
is the penumbra. I like it even
more in Spanish: in Spanish,
it isn’t the penumbra, it’s la
penumbra,
and it’s that brown
color–horse saddle brown
funky

viii

When you left me
my only consolation
was that the next day
I found perfidy
(in the entrepôt.)

ix

When you told me
that you loved me
for the very first time
my legs did that thing
that piaffer thing that
the fancy horses do
so very non chalantly
in fancy horse shows

x

CHECKLIST

• cigarettes
• passport
• sabre
• shako
• solander
• thymus

check!

xi

When I told you
that I loved you
for the first time
you skirled with
buoyancy
and I knew that
I had done
the right thing
by telling you
I like it
although sometimes
a little skirling
can go a long way

xii

I woke up today
all scrunched up
and fiesty, in the
mood, I daresay,
for a little
suborning, that’s
what happens
after a night of
scrunched up
sometimes
suborning,
or even worse,
no suborning
at all

xiii

ORT

Just plain ol’ ort,
Nothing like ort. Nothing,
no, just it, just ort. Plain
as day. Accept no. There
ain't nothing like a.
Ort.

I apologize for #6 (mucronations) where I got a little off topic with the glue and bloodhounds and stuff. Honestly, what happened, is that I was listening to this terrific version of ME AND MY SHADOW by Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Dean Martin, although he wasn't anywhere close by, and I really couldn't come up with a strong feeling about mucronations at all, but I was really loving ME AND MY SHADOW, and so it sort of crept in. First it was bloodhounds, and then it was glue (we stick together like it.) He also mentions people like Robert Kennedy and JFK, but I didn't want to get any more off track than glue and bloodhounds. For the moment, that was plenty.

Comments

Popular Posts