RADICCHIO

MY BEST DAYS

are days spent at the grocery store. When I am really relaxed and not at all in a hurry and there are lots and lots of people there and yet I somehow get a parking space with no problem. My car is old but runs well; someday it will be gone.

LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE

I espcially like it when there are old, grumpy people and dangerous looking thuggy guys buying–oh–what’s that Italian red leaf lettuce that’s bitter yet appealing? Anyway, also, guys on motorcycles and angry looking house painters.

RELAXATION

If am really relaxed, all of their faces slowly melt away, in a dreamy sort of way, and they suddenly all look like children to me. It’s a subtle, beautiful transition–very dreamy–not like the stuff you see in old Ray Harryhausen movies from the ‘50’s.

MORE ABOUT DREAMS AND STUFF

So, things are going nicely and the weather is beautiful and the store is filled with children. This should be the end, but it is not.

ITALIAN SALADS

As I look at their faces I can tell that each and every one is cute as a button and so I pinch their cheeks and tickle them and do a lot of coochie-coochie-cooing.

I mean, a LOT. Especially to the dangerous looking guys, buying the Italian leaf whatevers.

BEING DRUNK

It’s an intoxicating feeling, and it spreads like a warm, orange-colored blanket over me, extending to little animals like birds and chipmunks and even dogs and cats and horses, I mean, if this were a hundred years ago when horses were the principle means of transportation. Although I am not sure what I mean by ‘orange’ – perhaps because it feels like the color of the sun, which, technically, is not orange.

YELLOW

Does this warm feeling blanket extend to all things–beyond the animals and unto the rocks and twigs and wildflowers and Mountain Dew cans discarded upon the highway? No. Absolutely not. But if it does, I think I will have completed my job here, and I can then go home.

Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

100 WONDERFUL THINGS

I am not sure what my job is per se, but I am close to quitting it. Oh so close.

all artwork, including handsome monsters but not crinkly devilish types,
® mr. crispy flotilla, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts