FOR GOD'S SAKE

When Joseph Haydn was an old man, he had this terrific calling card that he kept with him at all times. It said, and I paraphrase, “I am an tired old man who can’t do much anymore. Please don’t ask me” and that’s about all although it would be nice if he had added, “Please, I beg of you” and/or “For God’s sake, let me die in peace.”

Small wonder–actually–big wonder, that he didn’t teach his parrot to say that, because he really did have one. Imagine: “Squawk!” says Polly, “ I’m dying! Let me alone!” Of course when a parrot says it, it’s funny. And so terribly serious when anyone else tries.

There is so much that we could learn from parrots: how to live gracefully, how to die, what to do with our red and green things, how to be nice to old people, how to write a billion symphonies, how to be funny no matter what.


all artwork, except likenesses of Lyndon B. Johnson, by Crispy Flotilla ® 2006

Comments

Popular Posts