EVERYBODY IN MY FAMILY EVENTUALLY STARTS TALKING ABOUT THE OCEAN

I fell in love with marmalade when I was six years old and in that way I am very much the same person that I was when I was six years old.

I should mention that I have never eaten marmalade, but I have certainly looked at it for many years.

I like the strands and swirls and the fact that it looks like an ocean in a dream where you are wearing orange sunglasses on the ocean and the sails are full with air. Orange air.

Unless there is another kind of marmalade: lemon, maybe. Were I to eat either, I would no longer be the boy I was at six; I would suddenly become 48 years old and my clothes would be ripped because it was all so sudden.

I would be brushing my teeth carefully and trying to decide whether or not I liked marmalade. I don’t think I do. Ah, “Under The Lemon Sun We Be"–thus spake the

completely Dead Sea. Are you experienced? Jimi Hendrix once asked. I hope so, I would say, were I to say it, to Jimi.

Sailing across the ocean, I fall into a deep slumber that makes me forget that I still haven’t eaten marmalade and thus my love for you remains eternal.

No, you are not marmalade, but I have loved you since I was six. If I put you in my mouth, I would no longer be six, and everything would be the deliciously familiar orange and yellow.

I would no longer be six if I were to do what I were to say.

all artwork, except likenesses of Lyndon B. Johnson, by Crispy Flotilla ® 2006

Comments

Molly Wieser said…
Cafe Pascual has whole wheat pancakes but I think it is only because of the various marmalades they have in glasses with no lids on each table, one per table, and if you want more than one flavor on your pancakes you have to talk to the people at the next table, who might not need it because they are having trout hash, for example. I was six there last week, I think.

Popular Posts