In Raphael’s TRIUMPH OF GALATEA


In Raphael’s TRIUMPH OF GALATEA

(Rome, Villa Farnesina)

a triton, raging with lust, abducts a sea nymph

three cherubs, chestnut brown, take aim at Galatea

with their little bows and arrows–

more tritons, more sea nymphs abound merrily,

trumpets are blown, mythily,

and Galatea rides a peculiar sea, puke green

in a curvacious seashell, normal, drawn by dolphins,

not very, while a grey ghost skull imprints her knee,

she gazes towards a soft heaven

contemplating platonic love, OH



Could I do as much 

if I could swim

and if I were not afraid of tritons

the apotheosis, half men, half fish

and bows drawn by flying midgets?

I could do my best, and that is all

you can ask of yourself, and I do,



I could try, but confidentially,

I smiled, frankly,

No sirree,

I could not.

Comments

Popular Posts