JULY PROSE POEM, HASTILY ASSEMBLED DURING THE LAST FIVE MINUTES OF AUGUST

BASIN D’ARGENTEUIL

I like to think the day ended for Monet today with my laughter. But if it did, it ended for only the smallest part of Monet. The part that you find in the reproduction of ‘Basin d’Argenteuil’ that hangs in the bathroom at the Tanglewood Motel in Conway, New Hampshire, Cottage #9. How much of Claude Monet is there in this painting? Well, it’s a reproduction–there’s probably a thousand of them and ‘Basin’ probably represents about 1/1000th of Monet’s painterly output. And so if you do the multiplication correctly, you could say that it’s 1,000,000th part Claude Monet here. But it’s all Claude Monet. 100% Claude. And I’m here, too. 100% of me. Between the two of us, we are 200% here. And in Basin there is a little white flower that explodes like the Fourth of July. Why not? It almost is the Fourth of July – a time which explodes like love – everywhere – even in Conway, where there are steep mountains and lots of mosquitos.

And if there were no flowers here, no Basin, exploding like love, like the Fourth of July, and instead it was only me here, with a tug boat and a bunch of mosquitos, but let’s say I was in love here, then I would be more here still than Claude Monet. 1,000,000th part me? No. But 100% me? No. Less than that. In love I would be at least 94% here. 94% is good. 94% would qualify for being so here I that I am looking for white flowers along the highways, committed to eternity at times by Claude Monet, for the most part, even when the smallest part, which tend to be ghostly, like a white flower, falling in love with a painting.

all artwork, including monsters but not old timey photographs,
® mr. crispy flotilla, 2007

Comments

Anonymous said…
As if the last day of August were not poignant enough (end of summer, waning of the tomato season), you added this homage just as the curtain was closing. Thank you.

Incidentally, are you in New Hampshire? If so, one might be very jealous. It would be the ideal place to enjoy the Labor Day weekend, that last hoorah of the summer.

Wherever you are Crispy, corn on the cob and all to you.

Your Angela

Popular Posts