OH MY GOD



















I put my ring on my finger.
I admired my ring.
It fell off my hand.
I yelled Oh My God.
It rolled underneath the fridge.
It rolled towards the drain.
I looked at the ring.
I looked at the drain.
Oh My God, I said,
It’s going down the drain.
I fell to my knees.
I looked for a telephone.
I picked up the telephone.
I trembled. I dialed.
I called the Hyundai
Dealership. I’m sorry.
I must have dialed
the wrong number.
I called the police.
Good. I called a plumber.
Bingo. I adjusted my skirt.
Nice.
I smiled into the mirror.
It’s not a bad smile.
Here comes the police.
Here comes the plumber.
Oh My God, here comes
my husband.
Yummy.
Here comes the fridge.
Here comes the drain.
There goes my daughter.
Isn’t she precious? I think
I will name her Violet. I
never knew a mere physical
experience could be so
exhilirating. Honey,
beware the drain.
Darling, help me find
my ring, Mr. Policeman.
Help me find my ring,
Mr. Plumber. Husband,
find my ring! Darling.
There’s my daughter.
She’s like a God to me.
I think I’ll call her Darling.
I think I’ll call her God.
Someday, she will wear
my ring, that ring, if
we find it, and then, God
willing, I will admire
it. I won’t lose them.
I can’t lose. Then she will
then she will then she will
be mine.

Comments

Popular Posts