THAT SAD, SAD, SAD TOUCH OF MINK

After a first-rate evening of movies (DESK SET, THAT TOUCH OF MINK, TEACHER'S PET) I thought to myself: "You know, I wonder if Gig Young is still around. He seems like a nice, easy going guy. I bet it would be fun to go out and have a drink with him." So I did a little research, thinking, what the heck, maybe he wouldn't mind kicking back and talking about old times with a fan. It's only a plane ticket to Los Angeles or maybe New York
and a few cocktails and a taxi ride or something.

Well, not bloody likely. And I don't think I will go into detail here, but suffice to say, the reason that I will not be going out tonight with Gig Young involves sorrow, guns, brains, and splatter. Oh. And one wife. And some bullets. And more splatter. And now some ghosts that are haunting this building somewhere. I think that I will leave out the details for now.

Everyone loves to say that they are a good judge of character. I never do that. Well, I've stopped doing that. It's not just Gig, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't mostly Gig. So these days I just like to say that I am a good judge of movies. THAT TOUCH OF MINK was an excellent one. I am sorry that, in it, Gig Young had to be slapped by Audrey Meadows in the Automat and also fall down the stairs in Doris Day's apartment building and had to go to a therapist who didn't listen to him and felt unappreciated in all regards by Cary Grant who gets the girl and is his boss. I guess that was sort of the beginning of the end. I guess you could see it coming if you were a good judge of character. Honestly, though, I really didn't see it coming. Which reminds me: I'm better with other things than that.



** ** **



Photo courtesy of some interesting Argentine Batman website, 'Los Que No Fueron.' That slays me. Something like 'Those Who Were Not,' Was Gig Young supposed to be...The Joker? I think they think so. Oh man, the ironies are spreading thick and furiously like crunchy peanut butter on a tiny whole grain English muffin on a sultry summer day in North Carolina. As for Mickey Rooney: "Mickey Rooney: Otro de los considerados por Dozier que se quedó en el camino, sin dudas hubiese estado magnifico, pero es imposible imaginar a nuestro Pingüino en otro actor que no sea Burgess Meredith" which roughly translates to "he would have made a great Penguin, but give it up for Burgess Meredith." Man, I love Argentina.


all artwork, except likenesses of Lyndon B. Johnson, by Crispy Flotilla ® 2006

Comments

Popular Posts