THE INTERESTING LIFE OF FRANÇOIS SAGAN
- Stole her name from Proust.
- Was expelled from the convent for “Deep lack of spirituality.”
- Was called “The charming little monster.”
- Wrote BONJOUR TRISTESSE at 18 about “a pleasure-driven 17 year old named Cécile.”
- Married a playboy and “would-be ceramicist.”
- Liked to spend time with Truman Capote.
- And Ava Gardner.
- Crashed her Aston-Martin, coma.
- Got better and drove her Jaguar to Monte Carlo to gamble.
- Had an affair with Bernard Frank, a married essayist obsessed with reading and eating.
- Had an affair with French Playboy editor Annick Geille.
- When police inspected her house, her dog Banko showed them her cocaine.
- Banko licked the cocaine. “He seems to like it,” the police said.
- Said: “A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
- Wrote her own obituary:
Appeared in 1954 with a slender novel, Bonjour Tristesse, which created a scandal worldwide. Her death, after a life and a body of work that were equally pleasant and botched, was a scandal only for herself.