A ROUNDTRIP TICKET TO PALOOKAVILLE

I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED textures but I have always been awfully bad at them. If you want to find the true texture master, you should look at the work of Dave McKean. How does he do it? I don't know. You probably don't believe it, but sometimes I lose sleep trying to figure out how he does it. What worries me most of all (and maybe 'worry' is the wrong word, but it is one of my favorite words) is that he doesn't use a computer at all, just a whole bunch of pens and oils and acrylics and deliciously beat up canvases. If you know if that is true, please tell me. I could use some sleep. So far, the computer does not look anything like Dave McKean.

I also love superheroes of course – who doesn't? But I think I love them in the 'right' way, which is I think about them when I am looking at them, but not terribly often when I am not.

Here is a ditty that I have been working on for a projected project called 'Palookaville' which I thought was a great name since I like Marlon Brando (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCENBce_dls) and I like ON THE WATERFRONT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXXOxCPNek) but a quick look into the archives made me discover that it might very well look like I like Fatboy Slim too, but I don't, because I really don't know him.

Anyway, this sort of thing is really easy to put together. All you have to do is find a mural size black and white drawing of a hundred or so Marvel Superheroes, rotate the canvas 90 degrees clockwise, and then duplicate the image and reverse the image placing on on top of the other with a standard transparency. Voila! You have a Superhero Melange that is also sort of a Rorschach Test, with a little color in it, too. Nothing too fancy, though.

I think I see a bear on a motorcycle in the center top. He also might have pincers, terrible pincers. Scholars say it's not a bear at all – it's Kali, the Hindi Goddess of Destruction. Smart money says they may be right. I don't think that it's cute enough to be a bear.

all artwork, including monsters but not old timey photographs,
® mr. crispy flotilla, 2007

Comments

Popular Posts